The Yale Radiology Global Outreach Program has been supporting educational trips to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The group consists of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology attendings, fellows and residents in radiology. We provide educational activities to radiology residents and faculty at the Muhimbili National Hospital in Dar es Salaam.
Muhimbili National Hospital in Dar es Salaam is a tertiary referral center in Tanzania. It also serves as a medical education center for eastern Africa. Residents from Tanzania, Kenya and Rwanda attend the radiology residency programs.
The focus of the trip is both improving radiology services at Muhimbili National Hospital while focusing on the regional radiology resident educational program.
I participated in the 2018 trip as a diagnostic radiology attending. Here is a link describing the program: https://medicine.yale.edu/diagnosticradiology/news-article/18884/
1. Diagnostic Radiology lectures to the residents in the am (interpretation of Chest X-Rays, cardiac imaging, MSK and Body MRI)
2. Radiology case interpretation with the residents in the pm
3. Reviewing and optimizing cardiac body and MSK MRI protocols on the new 3T MRI scanner at Muhimbili National Hospital
3. Participate in multidisciplinary clinical conferences and help establish radiology as an integral part of the case discussion.
In terms of how learnings will carry forward:
1. A diagnostic radiology team visits twice a year. This is my second trip to Tanzania
2. Educational exchange: One of last year's residents is visiting for a month at Dartmouth. In prior years, attending radiologist have done mini fellowships at Yale.
Our group of diagnostic radiologists gave resident lectures every day from 8am to 10 am and from 2 pm to 4pm. From 10:30 to 12:30 we had readout sessions with the residents. Lectures covered pediatric and MSK radiology, body imaging and neuroradiology topics. I was responsible for MSK and Body lectures along with 2 of our residents.
We also reviewed MRI protocols with the technologists and staff radiologists